PHILOSOPHY FOR CHILDREN
At Newton Farm we like to offer subjects which go beyond the curriculum and one of these subjects is philosophy. We offer the children in all year groups 1 hour of Philosophy for Children (P4C). P4C is enquiry based learning which offers a way to open up children’s learning through enquiry and the exploration of ideas. Children learn that their ideas have value, and that the ideas of other children have value too. Through Philosophy for Children they realise that they don’t always have to be right, but they gain the confidence to ask questions and learn through discussion.
We find that developing children who are philosophical thinkers has the following benefits for the learners in Newton Farm:
• An enquiry based approach to open up children’s learning through the exploration of ideas.
• Gives children the possibility of seeing that their ideas have value, and that others have different ideas that have value too.
• They realise that they don’t always have to be right.
• They have the confidence to ask questions and learn through discussion.
• All learners (including teachers) have opportunities to genuinely enquire.
• A chance to speak and be heard without fear of getting an answer wrong.
• Intelligence grows and much research demonstrates the positive impact philosophy can have on increasing cognitive ability.
• Gives children a chance to think outside the box and challenge their existing opinions.
• It brings learners together as a community. • Gives all children value.